Anishnaabe Kwewag Gamig: Regional Womens Shelter. Click on the logo to learn more.Anishnaabe Kwewag Gamig: Regional Womens ShelterContact Us

24 Hour Crisis Lines
Local: 905-352-3708
Toll Free: 1-800-388-5171
  • Home    
  • What Abuse Is    
  • How We Can Help    
  • Leaving Home    
  • Kids Stuff    
  • Outreach    
  • Contact Us    
  • Useful Resources
  • Leaving Home


    Leaving Home

    INTERIM CUSTODYAdult hands holding a childs hand

    Interim custody is a temporary custody order which lasts until a judge makes a final decision on custody of your child/children

    • It can be a good idea to apply for interim custody if you have had to leave the family home and go to a shelter or other safe place.
    • If there is no custody order in existence after you have left with the children, and you have not let your spouse see them, there is a possibility that you can be charged with criminal abduction of the children.
    • To obtain an order for interim custody you have to make an application to a family court for an order to vary the normal situation of both parents having custody of the children.
    • If you can, make some preparations before you leave, for example, save some money for legal fees, maybe get some legal advice.
    • Seek legal advice from a lawyer who practices in the area of family law.
    • Legal Aid is available for custody matters. See for information and for a list of Legal Aid offices.
    • An order for interim custody can be made by the court on very short notice, for example, within 24 hours.
    • When considering an application for custody, the judge will look at what is in the best interests of the child. Therefore, be prepared to have evidence to show why the children should be with you.


    For Immediate Help Call Our
    24 Hour Crisis Lines:

    Local: (905)352-3708
    Toll Free: 1-800-388-5171
    TTY: 905-352-3506
    or call: 911

    Is Someone Watching Your Computer Activity?
    Follow these steps to erase your browser's record of your visit here.